Monday 9 June 2008

Quickpost: Embedding an Executable in a VBscript

Filed under: My Software,Quickpost — Didier Stevens @ 11:53

My latest bpmtk post got some people to ask me for the VBscript. I’ll do better, I’m posting the Python program I wrote to generate the script. You can download it here.

You have to provide it 2 arguments: the name of the executable to embed and the name of the VBscript to generate, like this:

file2vbscript cmd.exe cmd.vbs

This will generate a VBscript that will write cmd.exe to the current directory and execute it (create a new process). If you want to load a DLL in stead of executing an EXE, use the -l option:

file2vbscript -l mydll.dll mydll.vbs

And to use it in an Office application (Office VBA doesn’t take long subs), use the option -o:

file2vbscript -ol mydll.dll mydll.vbs

This will split the embedded file over several subs, to accommodate for the size limitation of Office VBscripts.

Quickpost info

1. Very cool stuff, Didier!

Comment by keydet89 — Wednesday 18 June 2008 @ 11:58

2. Excuse my newbieness, but how do we embed the output vbscript inside an office file (VBA)?

Comment by Anonymous — Monday 12 January 2015 @ 12:14

3. Go to the developer menu and select VBA.

Comment by Didier Stevens — Monday 12 January 2015 @ 14:45

4. Awesome! Please how do I run the file2vbscript.py properly in command prompt? I keep getting the error below:

File “C:\Demo\file2vbscript.py”,line 42, in Main

infile = open
    IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: ‘myfilename.exe’

Please what am I doing wrong? Please help. Thank you.

Comment by Sammy — Wednesday 26 August 2015 @ 14:24

5. @Sammy what is your command?

Comment by Didier Stevens — Friday 28 August 2015 @ 10:34

6. C:\Python27\python.exe C:\Demo\file2vbscript.py -o myfile.exe myfile.vbs

I await your reply. Thanks.

Comment by Sammy — Friday 28 August 2015 @ 20:00

7. @Sammy The command did not find your myfile.exe. Did you copy it in your working folder?

Comment by Didier Stevens — Friday 28 August 2015 @ 21:26

8. Yes, I did. I copied 2 files; file2vbscript.py and myfile.exe in Demo folder. Please what could be wrong?

Comment by Sammy — Friday 28 August 2015 @ 22:52

9. @Sammy and you are in the c:\demo folder? e.g, you typed cd c:\demo?

Comment by Didier Stevens — Saturday 29 August 2015 @ 9:37

10. Thanks. I figured it out. Is it possible to silent the Security Warning: Macros have be disabled Enable Content in Office when document is opened? I want the vbscript to execute the moment Office document is opened. Can this be achieved? Thanks again.

Comment by Sammy — Saturday 29 August 2015 @ 17:31

11. @Sammy Yes, that’s simple, you configure MS Office to enable macros. Google can help you with that.

Comment by Didier Stevens — Saturday 29 August 2015 @ 22:02