It looks like I didn’t release this update to my lookup tools.
lookup-hosts.py has a new argument: -R. This does a reverse lookup of the IP addresses (thus after it resolved the hostname).
And now you can also use letters as a counter: test-[a-z].com
Because I had to use a workaround in my js-unicode-unescape.1sc script to copy an array of bytes to the clipboard, I asked the 010 Editor developers if they could add a function that does exactly this.
They included this new function, CopyBytesToClipboard, in their new version 5.0.
Here is a new version that uses this function:
Mark Woan reported an issue with virustotal-search.py: sometimes VirusTotal returns a JSON object that the json parser can’t parse.
That’s something I didn’t expect. I’ve added error handling for this case.
This is an update for virustotal-search.py and a release of a new tool: virustotal-submit.py. I created this new tool because I needed to submit a sample stored in a password protected ZIP-file (not the ZIP-file), without extracting the sample to disk.
To submit a file to VirusTotal, you just run virustotal-submit.py sample.exe.
If you submit a ZIP file, virustotal-submit.py will extract the first file to memory and submit that to VirusTotal. The ZIP file can be password protected with password “infected”. To submit the ZIP file itself, use option -z.
To submit a batch of samples, create a textfile with the name of the files to submit and use option -f.
virustotal-submit.py supports proxies too (Python variables HTTP_PROXY and HTTPS_PROXY or environment variables http_proxy and https_proxy).
Python module poster is required for this tool.
Updates to virustotal-search.py:
- uses json or simplejson module
- proxies are supported (Python variables HTTP_PROXY and HTTPS_PROXY or environment variables http_proxy and https_proxy)
- option -g forces virustotal-search.py to use the local database in the same directory as the program
This new version is a bugfix version for Python 3 plus I added a new name in the default report: /XFA
From version 0.4.1 on, you can also pass a URL or a ZIP file as argument to pdf-parser:
When you pass a URL as argument, pdf-parser will download the PDF document and analyze it. The PDF document will not be written to disk. Supported protocols are http and https.
Passing a ZIP file as argument instructs pdf-parser to open the ZIP file and analyze the first file it finds in the ZIP archive. If the ZIP file is password protected, pdf-parser will try to access the compressed file with password infected. Same as with URLs, the PDF file in the ZIP container is not written to disk.
Further changes are: bug fixes, performance improvement and option –content. This option allows you to view the content of an object without stream or with stream but without filters.
A month before my PDF training at HITB, it’s time to release new versions of my pdf tools.
I start with PDFiD. From version 0.1.0 on, you can also pass a URL or a ZIP file as argument to PDFiD:
When you pass a URL as argument, PDFiD will download the PDF document and analyze it. The PDF document will not be written to disk. Supported protocols are http and https.
Passing a ZIP file as argument instructs PDFiD to open the ZIP file and analyze the first file it finds in the ZIP archive. If the ZIP file is password protected, PDFiD will try to access the compressed file with password infected. Same as with URLs, the PDF file in the ZIP container is not written to disk.
This new version of XORSearch comes with a new operation: shifting left.
It comes in handy to reverse engineer protocols like TeamViewer’s remote access protocol.
Here’s an example. When you run TeamViewer, your machine gets an ID:
We capture some TeamViewer traffic with Wireshark, and then we use XORSearch to search for TeamViewer ID 441055893 in this traffic:
And as you can see, XORSearch finds this ID by left-shifting the content of the pcap file with one bit.
I added several new fields to the output produce by my new tool AnalyzePESig:
- issuer unique id
- subject unique id
This is a small fix for TaskManager suggested by goglev: he had 2 network drives pointing to the same share, and this triggered a bug.
Since it was brought to my attention that some AV products detect the version with shellcode, I’m forking the project:
TaskManager.xls has no shellcode injection features, while TaskManagerSC.xls does.