Monday 22 September 2008

Quickpost: WiFi Antenna With 360° Servo

Filed under: Hardware,Quickpost,WiFi — Didier Stevens @ 10:17

Last weekend, I’ve been playing with a RC servo to automate the recording of wsrradial plots. Metlstorm has presented a solution to do this with Lego Mindstorms, but I present a solution if you don’t want to use Lego components.

RC servos are easy to find, and you can find many servo controllers for PCs (a typical RC servo is controlled with a PWM signal). Though most RC servos though are limited to 180° rotations, there are 360° servos on the market.

Here is a picture of my 360° RC servo, togheter with a servo controller.

The servo in action:

Quickpost info

8 Comments »

1. Seeing that in action does look a bit scary, and I like that ;-)

Comment by Sandro Gauci — Monday 22 September 2008 @ 14:23

2. @Sandro

Did you watch Robot Wars on BBC TV?

Comment by Didier Stevens — Monday 22 September 2008 @ 18:37

3. @Didier i think ive seen the american version. I can see the connection yea ;)

Comment by Sandro — Tuesday 23 September 2008 @ 11:41

4. can you tell me the model of your servo, I’ve been loking for a 360° servo and aparently nobody sell it.

Comment by Nelson — Wednesday 28 January 2009 @ 17:01

5. can you tell me the model of your servo, I’ve been loking for a 360° servo and aparently nobody sell it.

Comment by Nelson — Wednesday 28 January 2009 @ 17:01

6. You can find it here: http://www.active-robots.com/products/motorsandwheels/servo-motors.shtml
    GWS 125 2BB Sail Winch Servo

It’s capable of more than 360°, but can’t find the specs right now.

Comment by Didier Stevens — Wednesday 28 January 2009 @ 17:37

7. with this servo you can set the position with a PWM rigth?… or is a continiuos movement one (setting the speed with a PWM)?

I need to set positions.

thx

Comment by Nelson — Wednesday 28 January 2009 @ 19:14

8. Correct, you set the position with PWM. But I had problems with my PWM controller, sometimes it would set the servo in continuous movement.
    I believe the e-shop I referred to has other 360° servos.

Comment by Didier Stevens — Thursday 29 January 2009 @ 10:29